Why not use Zoom for your online piano lessons? Zoom is easy to install and simple to use. It is a joy to be able to learn the piano from the comfort of your own home with the help of this technology.
The Benefits of Learning to Play the Piano with Zoom
My students have mentioned several benefits of learning to play the piano with Zoom. These include:
- The ability to see my piano, enabling you to see where I place my fingers.
- The ability to record each lesson, and play it back, which helps you to revise before practising. This is extremely helpful, especially when you want to go over a particular point in the lesson.
- Being able to have a group lesson with a family member or a child. I am happy to arrange this.
- Having lessons on your own piano or keyboard, a morecomfortable option than learning on a different one.
- I can see your piano or keyboard, allowing me to give advice about it, such as whether it needs tuning.
- You can start practising straight after the lesson, while it is still fresh in your mind. If you had to travel a long way for lessons, you might be too tired or distracted to play when you got home, so this is a significant advantage.
What do you need for Online Piano Lessons with Zoom?
You can choose to access Zoom with a smartphone, tablet or laptop. Each device has its pros and cons.
Using Zoom with a Smartphone
If you use a smartphone, place it by the side of the piano keys in an adjustable holder, so that it stays in place. A Selfie stick may be worth trying. The disadvantage of using a smartphone is that the screen is usually small, so you may not be able to see my piano keys clearly.
Using Zoom with a Tablet
Using a tablet has the advantage of a bigger and probably a clearer picture, and an adjustable holder helps it to stay in place during the lesson. Many students like to place the tablet above the piano or keyboard, so that it overlooks it. A tablet is often the most suitable option, because of its reasonably sized screen, and its adaptability.
Using Zoom with a Laptop
A laptop may be the best solution, because it has the largestscreen, allowing you to view my piano and my fingers clearly, and to follow the lesson more easily. It may be a bit difficult to adjust it near the piano or keyboard, but a nearby chair, lamp table or height-adjustable table should work.
How to Install Zoom
Install Zoom before your first online piano lesson in just a few easy steps:
- Go to zoom.us
- Click on ‘sign up, it’s free’ in the top right-hand corner.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Zoom will send you an activation email. Click on the link in this email to activate your account.
You are now ready to start using Zoom! If you have any problems, just ask your children or grandchildren to help. They are often techno-wizards who will be delighted to assist!
Connecting to Zoom Before Your Piano Lesson
Before you connect to Zoom, make sure you have a high-quality Wi-Fi connection where your piano is situated. If you have a keyboard, move it to where you have the best connection.
Connecting to Zoom for your lesson consists of a few straightforward steps:
- I will send you a link to join your lesson at the agreed time.
- A few minutes before the start of your lesson, click on this link and enter your name. (You only need to do this before the first lesson).
- Click OK when Zoom asks you to access the camera.
- Click OK when Zoom asks you to access the microphone.
- Allow notifications.
Playing the piano is proven to relieve stress, and it has severalother advantages, such as improving creativity and advancing your multitasking skills. It may even help to slow down the ageing process. You will also learn some Italian words because Italian is the language of music.
Remember, too, that it’s the easiest instrument to learn. Whether you want to start learning for the first time, or resume playing, why not start now? You won’t regret it!
Arrange an online piano lesson with me via Zoom today!